Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Killing The American Dream

I remember when I was a child, I would stare into the sky at the clouds and dream of the wonders that life had in store for me. Once, while I was watching an airplane pass over the top of our modest cabin in the woods, my father sat down next to me and asked what I was doing.

I told him about the plane and how I wanted to be a pilot so I could soar free above the Earth. He told me that I could be anything I wanted if I only tried hard enough. I did work to that end, for in my lifetime anything was indeed possible.

Today though, economic and social restrictions are hampering the American Dream. No longer is it enough to work toward our dreams, for restrictions are aplenty and entitlement is seemingly meant for only the few. Or, at least that is the perception of so many around the world who, despite their efforts find only despair and economic agony within their dreams -- or, rather, their nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment